Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Friday, August 17, 2007

Squash It...Casserole

This one comes from Paula Deen so we KNOW it will be good right? 6 yellow summer squash 1 cup onions, chopped 1 clove garlic, minced 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped 1/2 stick butter 2 slices white bread 1 medium bowl ice water 1 egg Salt and pepper 1 cup cracker crumbs, or enough to cover casserole Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. ~~~~~~~~~~

Peel and cut squash into cubes. Boil until tender, about 5 to 7 minutes, and drain. Brown onion, garlic, and parsley in 2 tablespoons butter seasoned with salt and pepper. Soak bread in ice water and wring out; chop fine. Add to onion and garlic mixture; cook, stirring, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add drained squash and cook 2 to 3 minutes more, stirring. Remove from heat. Beat egg and add, allowing it to absorb into the mixture. Season with salt and pepper, if needed.

~~~~~~~~~~

Place in casserole dish or baking pan. Cover top with cracker crumbs and dot with remaining butter. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the crumbs brown.

16 comments:

Cheryl Wray said...

ANYTHING Paula makes is awesome! I have tried a lot of her recipes and never gone wrong with them!!

Dawn Bibbs said...

I LOVE Paula Deen! Squash...not so much!!! :-)

Sophie Honeysuckle said...

Just forgot to say I LOVE your blog songs!!

Rosemary said...

I love her!! She is so great!
Thanks for the recipe.
Rosemary

sheila from life @ #17 said...

only l/2 a stick of butter? are you sure this is a Paula recipe, LOL! (I'm just teasin' ya a bit:)

on a softer note, I'm sorry about Haley...you're right...it never is easy...sigh...bless her heart...

thanks for droppin' by #17 and I'll be back over here to say "Hi" :)

Tammy said...

Now my mouth is a waterin'!!
;)

PAT said...

I do love Paula D. This recipe looks good!

Now, I want to know where Paula gets those gorgeous big shirts she wears. I am in need of those big shirts in the worst way!!! I wonder if Paula shares her shirt secret somewhere!

Pat

bren said...

Susie Q thank you for stopping by my blog. I love Paula Deen, and this recipe is very similar to one that my mama use to make. Her veggies always tasted better than the ones that I cook no matter what. Have a great weekend.

Rhoda @ Southern Hospitality said...

Hi, Mz. Susie Q! Love that Paula Deen, she is a hoot. Hope you're having a good weekend.

xo,
Rhoda

Anonymous said...

you won my heart!!!! I love that picture of Paula and we all know her food is AWSOME. it is funny my blog today has a picture from my trip to see her live. Small world. lol

Andi said...

I adore Paula Deen and this recipe sounds wonderful!

Carole Burant said...

Do you think I could have Paula Deen come over and make this for me???? hehe I've never liked squash BUT maybe I'd like it prepared this way...MAYBE!!!! lol xoxo

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I am reading a Paula Dean biography....It is really amazing. She tells it all and she had such a hard time for over 20 years.....
I just love her!
Penny

Susie said...

Looks yummy! We love squash here and are always looking for interesting ways to fix it!
:)

Pamela said...

soaking that bread in ice water sure has me confounded.

Brown English Muffin said...

I don't think Paula knows how to make anything that doens't taste good!!!