End of the Year List
I have been challenged. Never one to totally run from
a challenge (Okay, I usually squeal and flee as quickly as possible but...)
1. What did you do in 2006 that you had never done before?
Had a real, no kiddin' pedicure. Very cool. Sorry, were you looking for something profound?
2. Did you keep your New Year's resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
Not totally and no. I am just going to work on being the best
person I can be, continue to trust easily, love deeply, give all I can to others
and to be kinder to myself. Oh, that and getting another pedicure. It was WAY cool!
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
My hairdresser had twins girls in October!
Our neighbors had a little girl in October
and beginning in late January, I have the pleasure
of becoming her daytime caregiver!
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Thankfully no. Oh wait. There was this one
Peace Lily plant that I had grown rather fond of. Still, she and
I were not all that close when I think about it.
5. What countries did you visit?
England, France, Italy, Ireland, Russia...huh? Oh. Dreaming doesn't count?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Bill working locally! Driving me crazy
and under foot all the time! Losing his keys and
leaving his socks on the floor...okay,
maybe NOT the socks on the floor...
7. What dates will remain etched in your memory and why?
Well, Bill took me to this fabulous restaurant...oh. Not THAT sort of date.
Hmm...I am really bad at remembering dates. And figs.
Grapes and pomegranates I remember but dates? Never.
8. What's your biggest achievement of the year?
Not falling apart when Bill left to work in VA
and being able to juggle home, family and
life while he is away. Yes, I had some experience in
that prior to this year thanks to the US Navy but I
never expected it to happen in the civilian world.
Oh well...stuff happens right?
We bend...we morph...we adjust.
We whine, we fuss, we curse. Then we adjust again.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I lost at Wimbledon, crashed at Indy and struck
out at The World Series. Other than that...well, I normally
would have quite the list to rattle off but
guess what! I have learned to be kinder
and gentler with myself recently.
If I try something and it does not
go my way, at least I tried.
Each day is a new learning opportunity right?
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Nothing important. Oh wait. My ego was bruised quite
a bit this year but I feel much better now!
11. What was the best thing you bought?
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
My nephew's continued improvement with his motor
skills. We are still working on speech but he is amazing us each day!
Dan's excellent work ethic and Grace's new found ability to trust us completely.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and disgusted?
My table manners could use a tweaking...are you
trying to tell me something? Huh?
14. Where did most of your money go?
College fees and kid's clothes and airline tickets
to bring Bill home every 3 weeks. Well, then there were all those
fake Rolex watches I bought from street vendors.
15. What did you get really really excited about?
Beginning my blog and re-kindling my love of art and
writing and photography. Well, that and being chosen
the winner of this season's American Idol.
Huh? That wasn't me?
Sheesh...are you sure?
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
The entire soundtrack to "High School Musical" which
Grace plays ad nauseum...but hey. It's fun!
Didn't I sing those songs on American
Idol? No? Are you SURE?
17. Compared to this time last year are you more hopeful?
Yes, of course. As long as the sun rises each
day, there is reason to have faith. Am I right or am I right?
18. What do you wish you had done more of?
Read just for pleasure & been easier on myself. My self esteem took
a big hit this year but I have pulled myself up by the boot straps
and shook most of it off. I ain't too bad after all. Feel free
to remind me of that occasionally! Not that I am groveling or anything...
19. What do you wish you had done less of?
Listening to criticism and allowing it to make me doubt my own heart.
20. How will you be spending New Year's Eve?
With good friends and family, dining at our favorite
Chinese restaurant, then back home to snuggle, watch
a movie and just be together.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Again and again...with the same man. Just don't tell Bill. Okay, so he knows.
I passed him a note after study hall.
22. What was your favorite TV program?
If it was not on the Disney Channel, I never saw it!
Okay, I will admit to being an HGTV/Food Channel
junkie. It's just about all I watch!
Well, that and That's So Raven/The Suite Life Of Zak
and Cody/Hannah Montana...have I mentioned Grace's
adoration of all things on the Disney Channel?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn't hate this time last year?
What an awful question! Who writes these lists?
I do not hate *anyone*, this year or last.
Yes, I have had some dealings with people who
made me uncomfortable
or who hurt my feelings or sheesh! Hate? This old world
is far too full of that already...
24. What was the best book you read?
Marley and Me
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
IL Divo and The Ten Tenors
26. What did you want and get?
A new van, which, by the way, has been nicked
and dinged and is not so showroom fresh anymore! But is oh so
comfortable now that *she* is broken in...
27. What did you not want and not get?
An Oscar? An Emmy? The win on American Idol?
Darn that Paula...she had it in for me.
28. What was your favorite film this year?
29. What did you do on your birthday and how old were you?
I was 50 this year and my birthday month was
full of sweet celebrations both small and large.
Did I just admit to turning 50? Argh...
30. What one thing would have made your year more satisfying?
More time with my husband...but you
take what you are given and squeeze
all the joy you can out of that time.
31. How would you describe your personal fashion in 2006?
Shabby Chic with emphasis on the shabby. Comfortable and shabby.
32. What kept you sane?
A team of psychologists at my disposal 24/7...nah...my
friends, my blog, my blog friends, my pets and my family.
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the least?
Oh, where would I begin...that list would be overwhelming to undertake.
34. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
That God is in total control and will not lead me astray! Giving up total control in some areas of my life are easier for me than others but I continue to work hard at allowing Him to lead me in the direction He feels is best. Not an easy lesson but I am learning and listening. With an open heart.
I also learned to trust myself, my heart. Listen to your
inner voice. Do not allow yourself to be unduly criticized and made to feel as if your choices are not best. Only YOU know what is best for YOU.