Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Saturday, April 05, 2008

Dogs Already Know...

~A Dog's Purpose ~ Being a veterinarian, I had been called to examine a ten-year-old Irish wolfhound named Belker. The dog's owners, Ron, his wife, Lisa, and their little boy, Shane, were all very attached to Belker, and they were hoping for a miracle. I examined Belker and found he was dying of cancer. I told the Family we couldn't do anything for Belker, and offered to perform the euthanasia procedure for the old dog in their home. As we made arrangements, Ron and Lisa told me they thought it would be good for six-year-old Shane to observe the procedure. They felt As though Shane might learn something from the experience The next day, I felt the familiar catch in my throat as Belker's family surrounded him. Shane seemed so calm, petting the old dog for the last time, that I wondered if he understood what was going on. Within a few minutes, Belker slipped peacefully away. The little boy seemed to accept Belker's transition without any difficulty or confusion. We sat together for a while after Belker's death, wondering aloud about the sad fact that animal lives are shorter than human lives. Shane, who had been listening quietly, piped up, "I know why." Startled, we all turned to him. What came out of his mouth next stunned me. I'd never heard a more comforting explanation. He said, "People are born so that they can learn how to live a good life --like loving everybody all the time and being nice, right?" The Six-year-old continued, "Well, dogs already know how to do that, so they don't have to stay as long."
Live Simply.
Speak Kindly.
Love generously.
Care deeply. Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like: When loved ones come home, always run to greet them. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy. Take naps. Stretch before rising. Run, romp, and play daily. Thrive on attention and let people touch you. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do. On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass. On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree. When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk. Be loyal. Never pretend to be something you're not. If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it. When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
Enjoy every moment of every day...be good to yourselves and have a sweet weekend!
Love and hugs,
Susie Q

42 comments:

PAT said...

Being "dog people" we know the love and wisdom these wonderful animals bring to our family.

We've lost beautiful Buffi Anne (Cocker), AJ (Cocker), Andy (Beagle) and our adopted/inherited dog, Sammy (feisty farm dog mutt), who had lived with J's mother, and loved her till the day she died. They all brought so much joy and love to us. We still miss them. Of course Molly is bringing us that same joy and love and yes, wisdom, these days.

Non dog people, we've come to find, haven't a clue what they are missing! Sorry, but I had to throw an opinion in there..Hey, I'm a white haired G'ma...I'm apt to say whatever pops into my head! And that just did!

Beautiful post, Sue!
Pat

Cherdecor said...

That's good!

I miss my dog, Bear!

Sheila said...

Beautiful story Sue.
Kipper is giving Bill lots of loving by the looks of things..!
hugs
xx

Andi said...

Oh Sue...what a wonderful post. I think I'm going to go hug my little Bully right now and play with him a little. Hugs, Andi

Sue Seibert said...

Amen to that, Susie Q!

Sugar Bear said...

So sweet and true. Dogs are pure love. Thank you so much for sharing this Sue.

Karla

Tara said...

Oh, gosh, if I ever lost my Tucker I'd be a goner--and I was never a dog person before him! Thanks for sharing

Rosie's Whimsy said...

That story brought tears to my eyes. I must keep this to share with my family. It is such a wonderful illustration of a great truth.

Now, I need to go hug my Lucy pup :-) Rosie

FHL said...

So True!

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

This post brought tears to my eyes. It was so amazing how this sweet little boy had the answer. Thank you for sharing this with us....Have a beautiful Sunday...Mary

Pamela said...

that slurpy face made me awful lonely.

Kissing of the Frogs said...

Susie Q,
What a WONDERFUL post you have here. Wish everyone can read this one. I'm sitting hear with tears in my eyes, and peace in my heart from your words. Ahhhh, kids....they know so much don't they? Thank you for starting my day with this wonderful story.
Hugs,
Rose

Carole Burant said...

Dearest Sue,

After reading this post, I want to go outside and round up all the dogs in the neighbourhood and give them big hugs:-) Such a beautiful story...leave it to a six year old to have so much wisdom!! Love the pictures of Bill and Kipper...such nice kisses Kipper gives! hehe

Hope you've been having a wonderful weekend...I've just come back from a shopping trip to town with June. It's such a gorgeous day, filled with sunshine and milder temperatures. At this rate, our snow will FINALLY be gone in no time. It's been a longgggg winter!

Think of you often!! xoxo

auntpearl said...

You put tears in my eyes. The joy and companionship pups bring to people is just immeasurable.
It is so hard to lose a pet but then I remember the wonderful moments we shared and I must say it is so worth it.

Great post.
Hugs,

Meggie said...

Such a sweet story. Loved reading it. Anyone who deals with children also knows how wise they can be. Thanks, SusieQ.

Anonymous said...

Susie Q that was so beautiful. I am a pet lover and I was told one time by a pastor that I love them so deep because they love back with no fuss..they never expect things back for their love it is free.
Even if we spank and swat them for maybe chewing a good shoe..potting in the house. Give them a minute and they are right back to give you love.
Wonderful post.

Sandi McBride said...

How absolutely stunning. Hope your weekend was perfectly content.
hugs
Sandi

Cottage Contessa said...

Hiya sweetie! Wonderful post! When you get a chance, please stop by my place as I have something for you there! Hugs!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

CIELO said...

Ahhhh, that's the cuties of post!

Hugs to all your furry friends!

cielo

Jill LaFaye said...

What a sweet story:)

I didn't used to be a dog person..I only liked cats..my husband converted me just 8 years ago. Now we have Toto(Cairn Terrier) and Wizard(Jack Russell & Heinz 57..Pound Puppy) and I wouldn't trade them for all the money in the world!

Jill LaFaye said...

Oh..I almost forgot..I love the new look!

Simply Heart And Home said...

Your post was such a blessing to me today. Thank you!

Rue said...

Wonderful post Sue :)

I love the new look, but I almost thought I was in the wrong place LOL

Have a beautiful day my friend!
rue :)

Jill LaFaye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill LaFaye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill LaFaye said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jill LaFaye said...

E-mail me..please. I have some important information for you:)

tiarasociety@netscape.net

Mary said...

Oh how lovely, Sue, and so true!
xoxo,
Mary

Donna said...

What a sweet story! Brings tears to my eyes.
Hugs,
Donna

Alice said...

As I'm reading this, my little Maggie is making the funniest puppy noises to let me know she has awakened from her nap and would like to be out of her crate.

Alice (dog servant)

The French Nest said...

Beautiful story, Susie! Ben is one of my best friends - such a sweetheart, just like your Kipper.

Kate

Lisa Pogue said...

Amen. Amen. Amen!!!!

Esther Sunday said...

I have two "babies". All this is so true and so beautifully said. Thank for you for the precious reminders, Susie.

Rosemary said...

What a nice story Susie.
Just checking in, had a busy weekend!
Rosemary

Terri said...

That was a nice story Suzy!

Anonymous said...

What a nice post, have been so busy, and missed visiting with you. I miss my little dog, Milo

Deb said...

Beautiful post Susie! Love the pics of sweet Kipper :-) Oh how we love our dogs x

Sheila said...

This post is SO true! I'm such a dog lover, and I see all of these qualities in my dogs. Now if we can just be like them!!

Sheila said...

This post is SO true! I'm such a dog lover, and I see all of these qualities in my dogs. Now if we can just be like them!!

Anonymous said...

That post really touched me Susie. My sweet fur baby is laying at my feet right now. We are going to go for a romp right now (and wag our tails :)

Gretchen said...

Must you make us cry so? xxxoogretchen

Carolyn said...

I posted this same thing my my Blog.

We were menat to be....LOL

Carolyn