Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Thursday, October 25, 2007

Happy Birthday! Please Join Me For A Day In New York City....

...but not just any day in New York! No, not for MY 51st birthday! I plan to take you to the New York City of 1956. October 26th, 1956 to be exact. I am so glad you were all able to come. I do hope your train tickets arrived early enough. And, for those of you from overseas, yes, I DO see you Sophie..there in the back! Welcome! Were your flights comfy? Pan Am has the best reputation! They gave me such a good deal! Oooh! I am just so glad to see you all! Andi and Brenda and Teresa and Tammy! I am thrilled you are here. Cheryl and the 3 girls!! Rhoda...you are here! Sweet Pea!! And there is Sheila and her daughter Lisa from Chicago and Sheila from Canada! And dear Sheila, you brought Blue, Deb and Kate with you as well! Valerie!! I KNEW you would come. Melissa AND Anna Marie! Kat, Kim and Donna!! Did you arrive together? Terri!! So glad you are here...Susie! Jolene! Cassie! Connie! Mari-Nanci! I am so glad you made it! Corrine! Ginny...I love seeing you all! Pam! Paula! And here is Sharon Kay! Anna, I do hope you are feeling better! There is Kim and Claire! Heather and Jacki and I think even our Gretchen is here. Ms. Greenie Garden and our Mom2Fur too! Ms. Strawberry Lane rode all the way here on her horse Royal! Janet! Cindy and Cherry too! Dear Charlotte and Cassandra were able to come! Hi Barbara and, wait! Do I spy a sweet Brown English Muffin?? Hi Michelle and Kayla! Rosie and Sandy! Welcome to you all! To all the Sues, Susie Qs and Sioux...I am so glad to see you! Why even Andrea was able to come along! Hi Diane! Hi Chris! Wendy! Ooh! It's Pat! And there is Rosemary and Karla! There is Robin...oh and Alice too! Carolyn and Betty Jo! Marie and Lidy and Manuela! Lynn and Mama P! Lisa and Jill! There's Missy! Jen with Emily! Dawn AND Jayla!! You DID come after all! I see Sandi and Kari, Penny and Mary...you all look so pretty! Gee, please forgive me...I just can't call out all of your names! I have run out of breath! So many of you! I am looking and I see ALL my dear blogging friends have come here to New York!! I see all of your smiling faces and I know we will have the best time. You all look positively radiant! Do you all have your white gloves? Oh, silly me. I need not have asked that! So, let's go. Grace and I have so much to show you today!
Isn't the city just amazing? If you listen closely you can almost hear it breathe...listen... Oops! Here come our limousines! You did not think I would let all of you ride in just any old vehicle now did you? Here we are on top of the Empire State Building! Isn't it just beautiful?
What a view! Here we are! The Plaza! This will be your home away from home today. Your every need will be met of that I can assure you! You have only to ask! Be on guard now, we just might run into a mischievous little girl named Eloise. I hear she lives at The Plaza and causes all sorts of havoc! Grace is looking forward to catching up with her...we will have to keep our little girls close to us so no trouble ensues. VALERIE! I did not think I had to worry about the adults too!! You march right back here and behave yourself! Tsk Tsk... Gather in now...it is time for tea! And where else would we meet than The Palm Court right here at the Plaza!

From the lovely harpist in her glittering gown to the waiters' impeccable service, from the gilt-edged marble columns to the crystal chandeliers, from the towering palm trees to the pink azaleas blooming all year long, the setting is simply magical here at the hotel's Palm Court.

The finger sandwiches are delicate and crustless, with cucumber sliced so thin it offers just a whisper of a crunch. Do remember to keep your pinkie up just so! The scones go so perfectly with the clotted cream that no jam is needed, but who can resist sampling the tiny jars of orange marmalade and blackberry preserves? Not me! Of course we will also have the most splendiferous birthday cake absolutely ever! May I offer you a slice? Oh! Two! My, you ARE hungry! I hope you enjoyed your lunch...that ride over was fun! I think I spied Joe DiMaggio and Yogi Berra! You did too? Wow! Do you see where you are? The heart of the theater district. Broadway! How I do love it so. I have, through a very secret source which I simply MUST keep private, been able to purchase tickets for ALL of us to this afternoon's performance of the smashing new hit, My Fair Lady! I hear that Julie Andrews may be a huge star! That Rex Harrison is pretty dashing as well. It should be quite enjoyable! And now for some serious shopping! Don't worry, just have your purchases added to my tab! Anything for you! There is Macy's and Gimble's, Bloomingdale's and Sak's Fifth Avenue. I simply must get one of those new pill box hats everyone is talking about! I think I shall look for one with a little veil. How about you? Central Park in the Fall. Is anything more beautiful? I have arranged to have dozens of Hansom cabs waiting for us at the park's entrance. The horses will all be young, high stepping, shiny coated and ever so peppy! Each of the drivers will be suitable attired in red jackets and a jaunty plaid cap and will have hot tea and chocolates for each of you. Oh the stories they will regale you with! Oh, and do go around the park a second and third time...I don't know about you but I am simply famished again! And I see that our carriages have arrived in front of Tavern On The Green! I have reserved the crystal room just for us! Do order whatever your heart's delight may be! It will be so magical watching the sun set and the millions of twinkling lights come to life...ooh...did you see that man at the door? I do believe it's Frank Sinatra! I see that he is being told we have the room all to ourselves this evening. What do you think? Should we invite him to join us? What are you having? Lobster? Yummy! Now, what better way to end our absolutely smashing day in New York City then with a nightcap at Birdland. We will have the place all to ourselves tonight and the management has promised me that the great Sarah Vaughn will sing for us. What an amazing end to an even more amazing day! Hmm...is anyone up for a late snack at the Carnegie Deli? You are? I will race you! Now, let's see...is anyone thinking what I am? It is SO late and we are all exhausted. We could stay over and tomorrow we can go to Radio City and dance with the Rockettes!! No problem. Your rooms are ready at the Plaza. Sleep well dear friends! Thank you so much for sharing my birthday with me...I loved being with all of you!

65 comments:

angelsamoungus said...

I am glad that I am the first one to post Happy Birthday to you. You have been such a dear friend throughout the years and I love you dearly.

Even though I am only 2 months older to the day!!

Happy 51st!! Wow-can't believe we are in our 50's. It seems like yesterday when we were just in high school :)

Take care and hope you have a great day.

Love,
Terri

Andi said...

And I'm equally happy to arrive at the party right after Terri!

Happy Happy Birthday sweet Sue! I loved the stay at the Plaza and will remember this as the party of the year.

Hope your day is as special as you are.

Love, Andi

Tammy said...

My first trip to New York City! You are the best Birthday Gal around! I almost felt like I was with Oprah really! But, I think you outdid even her but getting us this nice "time capsule"! It was so nice to meet all the other blog gals too, I' ve so wanted to do that!
Time to sing gals!!

Happy Birthday to YOU!
Happy Birthday to YOU!
Happy Birthday dear Susie Q!!!!!
Happy Birthday to YOU!
And many more!!!!!!
<(=-D)

Have a wonderful day!!!

Melissa said...

I'm exhausted from that whirlwind trip Sue! Happy Birthday!! I hope you enjoy your day, and do all the fun things you deserve. Have a wonderful one...

Terri said...

Happy Birthday!

You know, we went to NYC last Feb. I had never been and it was one of those things that I wanted to "check off my list". Being a country girl I never would have believed that I would enjoy it sooooo much! I can't wait to go back again! It was WONDERFUL!

Rosie's Whimsy said...

Happy Birthday, Susie Q! What a marvelous adventure to take us all on!

Anonymous said...

happy birthday to you!i hope you have a wonderful day!

PAT said...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DEAR SUE!!

Thank you for taking me along on your wonderful birthday trip to NYC! I enjoyed!

Pat

Mary L. Briggs said...

Happy, Happy Birthday!!!! I'm so glad I know you, Susie! Thanks for the trip to NY--it's always fun to get 'away' for awhile!

Mom2fur said...

Happy Birthday!!!! I'm a 1956 baby, too...although I'm at the other end of the year, January.

Wow, what a great, nostalgic trip to NYC! I haven't been there in about five years. I used to go to school and work there! If I can't make it in this year of 2007, it's almost as much fun to make a trip back in time to 1956. "My Fair Lady" is one of my favorites!

Hope your birthday is 'Lover-ly'!!!

BittersweetPunkin said...

Happy Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!May you have MANY MANY MANY more!
Blessings,
Robin

Alice said...

Happy Birthday, Sue! My best wishes for all good things in the coming year.

Deb said...

Happy Birthday dear Susie!!
Thank you for taking Kate & I along on your wonderful New York City birthday bash :-} We LOVE New York!

smilnsigh said...

Happy Happy Birthday to you, Dear!!!

1956... Welllll, tee-hee-hee, I know that's all a make believe trip for most all of you. Especially our hostess, the Very Young Susie Q.

But not so for me. I was a Sophomore in College in 1956. So of course I pulled out my white gloves, as the first thing, to prepare for the trip to NYC.

And you didn't have to spend too much on my getting there. Just a railway ticket, down the Hudson.

Do you think we could possible squeeze one more thing, into our day? Radio City Music Hall! No one should miss a chance to see a show there, either. :-)

Thank you for a lovely day! May your 2007 Birthday be very, very special too.

Hugs,
Mari-Nanci
And my Daily City Photo blog is at..
Photos-City-Mine

Anonymous said...

I tagged along on your birthday and I have to say I had a wonderful time. Thanks for organizing it. You did a splendid job. I just might have you plan mine next year.lol

Hope you have a Happy Birthday and
all your wishes come true.

Take care,
Connie

Mary said...

SusieQ,

I arrived here via Pea's blog just in time to go along with you to New York and to wish you a Happy Birthday.

I am a little older than you, so I would have been 7 when this trip took place. I wore those white gloves and all the other paraphenilia that went along with the 50s. Life seemed much more simple than.

I enjoyed all of the place you took us. I have always wanted to go to New York and the sights were just as lovely as I expected.

Take care, enjoy your birthday and I wish you many more.

Peggy said...

Happy Birthday! Came over by way of Pea

Mary said...

Oh, Sue, what a wonderful post! I very much enjoyed your party, and I wish you a joyous birthday! I will be following you to 51 by about three months -- Jan. 25, 1957.

Happy birthday, sweetie! :)
xoxo,
Mary

Janet said...

Sue,

Happy Birthday! Thank you so much for the trip; New York is always so much fun. I love going to "The Village" and wandering about. Guess back in '56 it would have been full of beatniks and poets wearing turtlenecks and berets. Kind of like Maynard G. Krebs!! Enjoy your day and thanks for making mine.
Janet

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for the lovely trip - it's my first time in NYC and I've loved every moment of it! I hope you've had a lovely birthday.

Sandi McBride said...

Oh Suzie, HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LOVE...it was my son, Michael's birthday on the 25th, too and so I have dragged him along...he's the 6'2 darkhaired blue eyed handsome man hovering over me, see him? He's so proud to be 34, though he wishes now he hadn't hurried up to 21 so fast, lol!!I JUST LOVE YOUR NEW BANNER...how lovely is that cedar tree! Thank you so much for that wonderful trip, it eased my mind no end.

Anonymous said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
I hopped over from Pea's to find your fun post about NYC in 1956. I was just there in June with my husband and son (for the 1st time), so that was an awesome post to me.
Hope you have a fabulous day!!!

Mockingbird Hill said...

How wonderful of you to take us on a trip for YOUR birthday and what a great trip it was!! I LOVE NEW YORK!!

Oh...and before I forget...YOU WIN! YOU WIN!! THE HALLOWEEN GIVEAWAY....YOU WIN!!!! I need your address, birthday girl...:)

Cassie

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I wanted to be sure I came by to wish you a most WONDERFUL and HAPPY BIRTHDAY DEAR SUSIE Q
May your day be full of celebration honoring YOU in the most special way!
I hope you are treated like a Queen, an Empress....a Goddess!
I'd sing to you but truly no one needs to have their hearing marred on their birthday!
Sending lots of love and hugs instead!
XOXOXO
Lisa

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

oh and I loved all the NYC photos...G surprised me for a trip there for my 50th - had my birthday at Tavern on the Green. The next year I met some friends there in October and we dressed in black with gloves and pearls (a ala Holly Golightly) and had brunch at the Plaza! I have fond memories and hope to go back again soon!
XOXOXO

Tammy said...

Wow!
First of all, a very Happy Birthday, SusieQ!!! :D

And I just loved my 1956 NY tour! Fabulous!

The one and only time I saw NYC was when my hubby was in the Navy and I flew up to be with him for fleet week! We had a whirlwind four days together seeing everything...so exciting! Although that was only 10 yrs ago, this birthday tour brought back memories!

Loved that scrumptious cake...um, yes, both slices, thank you! :)

Hope your birthday is wonderful!

JunieRose2005 said...

Happy Birthday!!

Oh my! What a nice tour of this wonderful city!

Thanks for letting us all come along!


Junie Rose

Diane@Diane's Place said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Susie! I had a wonderful time and I'm absolutely stuffed! I had the greatest time meeting you, Tammy and Pea and all our other blog friends. Thanks for inviting me to help celebrate your birthday!

Have a great weekend! ;o)

Love and hugs,

Diane

Carole Burant said...

Whew, I got lost at the airport and thought I had been left behind but I see that I made it to the party!! hehe HAPPY BIRTHDAY dearest Sue!!!! Finally, I got to go to New York...oh what fun places you brought us for your birthday celebration, I've never had so much fun:-) I think I'll pass on dancing with the Rockettes tomorrow...just leave me with Frank! hehe All the best to you my friend!! xoxo

Debra from Bungalow said...

Happy Birthday SusieQ! What a wonderfully fun town to spend your birthday in. Have Tons of fun!

Cheryl Wray said...

Oh, thank you for inviting us all on that wonderful trip!! I was delighted to go to NYC with you!!! :-)

I have never actually been to NYC, but dream of doing so someday. Our little birthday visit with you today makes me want to go even more!!!

So...

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope it's a WONDERFUL one and that you have many more to follow!!

You are a truly special lady and friend. And you deserve all the good things in life!!!

Valerie said...

how did you know i'd be trying to doorbell-ditch'em @ the Plaza?!

i love the oh-so classic way of the 50's, so elegant. and this trip was so much fun! (and did you know, for years i thought Hansom cabs were really Handsome cabs? i was sooo puzzled when i found out what it really was.

Happy Birthday, sweetest friend. i hope we can do this for real sometime.

Meggie said...

Happy Birthday, SusieQ: What a whirwind celebration. I'm so happy that I could ride along....it's been years since I've been in the Big Apple. It was a great time...thanks! Wishing you many many more years of fun and frivolity.

Yellow Rose Arbor said...

Happy Birthday SusieQ! Thanks so much for the trip to NYC, I enjoyed it, especially the tea!

Katherine

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Happy Birthday Sweet Susie Q!

How nice of you to include us in such a fabulous and memorable trip. You spared no expense and you made us all feel special on your special day. It was a whirlwind fun time!

Hugs!
Kat

peppylady (Dora) said...

Happy Birthday

Terri Steffes said...

I hope you had a great birthday in NYC because I am certain I did! Thanks for the great time!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you for the wonderful trip to the city. It was ever so enjoyable. I shall keep all my ticket stubs and matchbooks as a souvenier of today...
Hugs,
Penny

Pamela said...

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaappy Biiiiiiiiiiiirthdaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.

I read this post during a break at work....but I couldn't comment there.

It was a great trip to NY. Next time let's spend some time on Broadway!!!

Anonymous said...

LOL, well, who would have guessed we'd all be in NYC together, celebrating your Birthday! What a blast. Wow, what a trip! Happppppy B-Day, Sue!!! Bet you are having a great birthday, surrounded by sooooo many of your cyber buds.

I was in NYC in the 70's. OK, a few years ago! Walking past the Plaza, so close to Central Park, was one of my favorite places to be, while there. So your Birthday trip was indeed a stroll down memory lane, in more ways than one!

51 hugs to you! So glad you were born, wonderful friend!!! :-)

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to a very special person. Hope you have the best day ever.

Merle said...

Hi Susie Q ~~ Thanks for the lovely tour of New York ~ great fun.
I hope you have had a wonderful birthday and have many happy returns. I popped over from Tammy at Gentle Retreat and also Pea. Hope you had a great day and that the year ahead will be terrific for you. Cheers, Merle.

Melissa said...

Happy birthday to Sue! And that's so funny - Anna Marie was sitting in my lap as I read this. She really loved the pictures!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday to you
Happy Birthday dear Susie Q
Happy Birthday to YOU!!!!

Happy Birthday to THE SWEETEST girl in blogland - thank you SO much for taking me along with you to celebrate in NYC - one of my favorite places EVER! You are truly so special - may you be blessed with many, many more glorious birthdays dear one.

Love,
Kim

Heather said...

Happiest of birthdays! You would fit right in around our house - October is full of birthdays.

As usual, your photos are lovely.
Heather

Sugar Bear said...

Happy, happy, happy birthday! Mine is today! Thank you for the wonderful NYC trip.
Hugs,
Karla

Susie said...

This had to be one of the best birthday celebrations in blogland!
Hope your day was extra fabulous just like you Suzie Q!!!
xoxo

Greenie Gardens said...

Happy Birthday! I hope that you enjoyed your birthday even half as much as I did. Since I am of the 51 vintage it was such a lovely stroll down memory lane! You always pick just the right mood music. Thanks for the limo's I do like to arrive in style! Hope you have many more Happy Birthdays!

Rabbit Hill Creations said...

Happy Birthday to a wonderful,wonderful women!...your blog always makes my day.

Little ol' Me said...

I hope your birthday was magical!

What a fun read,
Tiffany

Ramblins of a middle-aged goddess said...

A little "pea" told me you were having a big birthday party!! WOW!! I guess you are!! What a birthday. I have always wanted to go to New York so guess I go to go virtually!! I hope your day was good. HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Sandy

Anonymous said...

Oh My Gosh! I am exhausted. I had a fabulous time hanging out with everyone and visiting New York. I even had a chance to see my son.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! Susie Q

Fabulous Post!!

Strawberry Lane said...

Happy Birthday, Susie Q!
Thanks for the invitation to your fabulous celebration in New York City!

I jumped the train as soon as I got the word, had a Pullman compartment. What a wonderful trip!

Thanks for including me. It was delightful.

Anonymous said...

Happy, Happy birthday, what a trip -- I loved it all, thankyou so much for sharingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sheila said...

Oh Sue..I'm late. Thank you for the invitation to this fabulous party, you sure know how to entertain. I hope the day was fabulous, and that you were spoiled rotten. There is a little something on it's way to you soon..!
Big hugs
xx

Michelle said...

A very happy (belated!) birthday to you!! Sure hope you had a most wonderful celebration!

Sandra said...

Happy Birthday to you and thank you for taking us along to NY......LOVED all the photos :)

Rosemary said...

Susie,
I'm so sorry that I missed your birthday. I hope it was a happy one. It was on my daughter's wedding day. I just posted the first pictures.
I feel honored that we were born the same year and we are the same age. How cool is that!! 1956 was a great year!
I am older than you by 4 months.
Rosemary

Sue said...

Happy belated birthday. What a sweetheart your are to take us all on your marvelous New York celebration.

Nonie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nonie said...

Happy belated birthday!

Sheila said...

Dear sweet Sue!! Happy, Happy Birthday! I know I'm a little late in my wishes, but I was thinking about you on your special day! I hope you have a beautiful year ahead, filled with lots of health, love, and all good things. You deserve it all.
I enjoyed the trip to New York! Beautiful photos!!

Anonymous said...

WOW, I'm the 63rd commentor...and we wouldn't have missed it for the world! Hope you days was great just like you are Sue!

Dawn Bibbs said...

Oh my gosh, what a terrible friend I am. I could've SWORN that I wished you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! Maybe it was on another post. But either way, I am very, very sorry.

And not only do I want to wish you a HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY, but I want to thank you for taking me and Jayla on your your trip to NYC. It looked so much nicer than what I remember :-). As always, your photos are remarkable!

Happy Birthday, my friend. Jayla and I love you bunches and bunches!!

Kari (GrannySkywalker) said...

Oh no. I'm hanging my head in absolute shame. I missed your birthday!!! I'm so sorry! I'm such a putz. I hope you had a fabulous birthday (I know I did just now, reading all about our New York adventure!).
Happy Belated Birthday, Sue! I'm so sorry I didn't send birthday wishes on time.

Could you please send me your address via e-mail so that maybe I can at least get a Christmas card to you on time? lol