Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Monday, January 14, 2008

Squad 51? Administer 1000 CC's of Ringer's Lactate And Transport...

Rampart, this is Squad 51...
Oh my. This walk down memory lane is amazing. After all the chatter about TV doctors and then the re-discovery of Chad Everett for our Janet, well, I had to take a look back at the TV guys *I* loved. Oh my did I have it bad for one Fireman/Paramedic John Gage. I was so addicted to "Emergency" each week that I planned my life around it. Sad isn't it? Now remember, my dad did this for a living! And of course he usually found something to fault about each episode...hmpf. What did Daddy know anyway. Johnny Gage was perfect. Following its debut on January 15, 1972, Emergency! aired for six seasons on Saturday night at 8 p.m. on NBC. The show centered on the professional and personal lives of paramedics, firefighters, and medical personnel at Los Angeles County Fire Station 51, and Rampart Emergency Hospital. Each week this top-rated action/drama series followed paramedics “John Gage” (Randolph Mantooth), and “Roy DeSoto” (Kevin Tighe), as they responded, in Squad 51, to accidents and dangerous rescues. Accompanying the paramedics in Engine 51 were, “Captain Hank Stanley” (Michael Norell), Firefighter/Engineer Mike Stoker, (as himself), and firefighters Marco Lopez (as himself) and “Chet Kelly” (Tim Donnelly). Squad 51, an emergency room on wheels, was outfitted with advanced medical equipment. Paramedics “Gage” and “DeSoto” received instructions via radio from the doctors and nurses at Rampart hospital, “Dr. Kelly Brackett” (Robert Fuller), “Dr. Joe Early” (Bobby Troup), “Dr. Mike Morton” (Ron Pinkard) and “Nurse Dixie McCall” (Julie London). At the direction of the medical personnel, “Gage” and “DeSoto” performed on-site Advanced Lifesaving Techniques (ALS) to stabilize patients before transporting them to the hospital. Emergency! would then switch its focus to the doctors and nurses at Rampart Emergency as they treated the patient, while Station 51 waited for its next emergency call. Emergency! aired 122 episodes and seven two hour movies reaching a national audience that averaged 30 million viewers each week. Emergency! helped educate those 30 million viewers on the emerging concept of Emergency Medical Services (EMS). A concept that was having a hard time getting off the ground in the early 1970’s. Soon after Emergency!’s debut, viewers were demanding the on-site medical treatment that they were seeing on television. The result was dramatic. Thousands of young men and women, inspired by Emergency!, began to enter the developing field of Emergency Medical Services, thus advancing EMS by ten years. When Emergency! first aired there were only 12 paramedic rescue units in the United States. By the end of Emergency!’s seven year run, half of all Americans were within ten minutes of a paramedic rescue unit.

The pilot episode of Emergency! was centered around a fictitious Los Angeles County Fire Department station designated "51" and the establishment of the real Wedworth-Townsend Act that created the first paramedic program in the State of California, which was then used as one of the models for other programs around the country. The television scenes that took place at fictitious “Station 51” were actually filmed at Station 127 in Carson, California. Station 127 is still a working fire station today. Both the interior and exterior look very much like it did during the filming of Emergency! In 1985, Station 127 was named The Robert A. Cinader Memorial Fire Station in memory and in honor of Emergency!’s creator and Executive Producer. There is currently an active Station 51 located at Universal Studios, Hollywood, California. In 1997, TVLand began airing reruns of Emergency! renewing the interest of fans that grew up with the show, and creating a new generation of fans among the younger viewers. In 1999, Project 51, a non-profit public benefit corporation, was formed to promote awareness of the 30th anniversary (in 2000) of Emergency Medical Services in the United States and to document how the television series Emergency! changed the face of healthcare forever. Project 51 featured a very successful cross country series of events that featured Emergency! cast members. The tour also included the original fully refurbished Squad 51 along with the original medical equipment and wardrobe used on the show. On May 14, 2000 the cast and crew of Emergency! received a private tour of the West Wing of the White House in honor of their efforts in the advancement of Emergency Medical Services. Two days later the original medical equipment (biophone, defibrillator, and drug box) and original wardrobe (turnout coats, paramedic shirts, and helmets) from Emergency! were accepted by the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History. The Smithsonian’s acceptance of these life-saving medical devices reinforces the historical significance of Emergency! and the vital role it played in introducing the American Public to Emergency Medical Services. Emergency! Cast: Station 51 Johnny Gage: Randolph Mantooth Roy DeSoto: Kevin Tighe Captain Dick Hammer As himself (1st season only) Captain Hank Stanley Michael Norell Mike Stoker, Engineer: As himself Chet Kelly: Tim Donnelly Marco Lopez: As himself Sam Lanier: As himself (LACoFD dispatcher) Rampart Emergency Dr. Kelly Brackett: Robert Fuller Nurse Dixie McCall: Julie London Dr. Joe Early: Bobby Troup Dr. Mike Morton: Ron Pinkard

Other Recurring Roles James McEachin: Detective/Lt. Crockett (PD) Vince Howard: As himself (PD)

9 comments:

smilnsigh said...

Oh my! I'm such an old timer, I missed Johnny Gage. And I don't even know which one he was... How about a single photo of your dream man? ,-)

Mari-Nanci

angelsamoungus said...

AHh Johnny Gage-I believe we liked him together. I remember talking about him with you *smile*

But I must say that he is not as cute anymore. I hate to say that-but he did not age well. He was on a soap a couple of years ago and I was disappointed.

Take care
See you on Thursday
Love,
Terri

Janet said...

For some reason I never watched that show. What was on opposite it? Just curious. Great info, I never even realized all that stuff about EMS.
Janet

Pamela said...

I was in love with him, too. Glad you confessed...

And then I married a firefighter/paramedic.

You were a veritable chest of info. I didn't know about the domino effect from this show.

LivingTheLife said...

Ohhhh! I loved Johnny Gage, too...man you have just brought back a flood of memories for me today! I had a crush on him as well as Dr. Joe Gannon...wow...Chad Everett and Randolph Mantooth all in one day...I may have to call in for an "Emergency" of my own...do you think if I did (you know in my own little world here at la-la land) that possibly Johnny Gage could arrive here in his faster than lightening red EMS van...to give me a little ringers lactate...or just a shot of the twinkle in his eyes.... then I would be wisked away to the ER where I could be met on my gurney by Dr. Joe Gannon...oh MY! I wouldn't want to come home for a long time...with those 2 around!! I just hope they wouldn't find out that all the problems that brought me there were due to menopause...i.e. memory loss, hot flashes, heart palpitations, insomnia...that would just be more than I could bear...b/c in la-la land I'm still hovering around 20 something...ya know!

I loved your little run down on the show...how interesting!

Blessings...
Teresa

Gretchen said...

You are a veritable fount of pop culture-meets-public-service information, Sue. Cute post. Very informative, too.

Susie said...

I tried to never miss that show. Until this post, I had forgotten all the details. Fun trip down memory lane..
xo

Anonymous said...

I wish not approve on it. I think warm-hearted post. Particularly the appellation attracted me to review the intact story.

{oc cottage} said...

4 years later i find this hilarious {and informative} post!! all i have to say is, "kmg-365"! {i can never find my keys...but i remember that! go figure!! ;}

m ^..^