Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Tuesday, October 21, 2008

I've Got Something To Crow About....

...and I don't mean Russell. But oh isn't he a handsome devil...huh? Oh, I completely lost my train of thought there for a moment. Ahem. Let's see now. Where were we? Oh! Crows. Or, in this case, a lack of crows...all due to the proliferation of scarecrows in a small community near by. Each year, in October, Scarecrow Row appears in Oakwood, Ohio. Would you like to take a stroll down the street and see what we can find? Who knows...maybe old Russell Crow(e) himself will...okay. So Russell Crowe will NOT be here. Sheesh. A girl can dream right? Yeah, yeah, I know he is NO Brian Dennehy but Brian's name had nothing at all to do with those noisy farm field flying (say THAT 10 times fast!) pests. Now, can we get back to our walk? Hmmm....what do we see over there?
Yikes! Oh how I love *Boo York*! She is such a witch... Mmmm....can you say S'mores? Ah, I knew you could! Our recent windstorm left some terribly corny people behind. My favorite grocery has their own scarecrow...and check out the scarecrow-DOG! Now how did they get a picture of ME from which to work? Mmmmm...Krispy Kream Doughnuts... Gee Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore...musta been that big windstorm that blew us straight through to Ohio! And look! It even blew poor Toto down! Ladies, let's see if we can help... The Headless Horseman...yikes again! A Headless Horse Race! Triple Crown yikes! Boo Man Group! BOO! Scare ya? Did I? Well Did I? Scabbey Road Grave's Anatomy featuring Dr. McScreamy And who woulda thunk it...the Wright Brothers as scarecrows!
I took this photo as a *Howdy Do* to our Kari, blogger's biggest Star Wars fan!
This was a another nod to our big windstorm last month. This area lost so many beautiful, mature trees. Look at naughty Stevie and Suzy Scarecrow over there having a good old time on that poor tree...
And this is their Mom (Ms. Stephie Scarecrow) planting a new tree to replace the one lost. Go Mom! Now get those ungrateful kids over here to help you!
Remember, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Think Pink and get that mammogram! Thank you for walking along with me today...I was much less *scared* having such sweet company with which to share the afternoon!
Love and Hugs,
Susie Q

23 comments:

Salmagundi said...

There are some very clever folks in Oakwood, with your very clever commentary. Thanks for the tour!! Sally

Beth at Aunties said...

What amazing scarecrows! I too enjoyed your commentary and shout out to supporting the cure for Breast Cancer. Great Halloween tour! Thanks for sharing!!!!!

Beth

nikkicrumpet said...

Well don't that beat all. I've never seen anything this creative and innovative. Who knew folks in Oakwood were this dang smart!! And I'm amazed at all the work these took. THANKS for sharing the fun!

sheila from life @ #17 said...

well, first off, scarecrows freak me out...in the same vein as clowns and, well, lots of other things...but I do think the mom with the kids and the buggy is just too darn cute...

Harbor Hon said...

That was lovely. You live in such an amazing neighborhood and I enjoyed the tour. Thanks for always posting such interesting things. xxoo

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. I am doing something like that about Ortonville, Mi but the scarecrows there are nothing like the ones you have posted. The ones you posted are absolutely amazing! I loved that Dorothy themed one. Thanks so much for sharing. I just love seeing all these wonderful Halloween decorations.

Anonymous said...

I loved your post. I am doing something like that about Ortonville, Mi but the scarecrows there are nothing like the ones you have posted. The ones you posted are absolutely amazing! I loved that Dorothy themed one. Thanks so much for sharing. I just love seeing all these wonderful Halloween decorations.

Rue said...

Wow! Those folks are really creative :)

hugs,
rue

Gretchen said...

Wow! They do some fine fall deckyratin' in Ohio. :)

xxxooogretchen

Debbies Doodle said...

You have received an award. Visit my blog to pick it up.. great pictures.
Deb http://debbiedohair.blogspot.com/

Neabear said...

What fun to see all the scarecrows and displays. Thank you for sharing. Come see me to pick up an award I have for you!

Bonnie said...

Those are fantastic. Never happen around here...we have to stuff our scarecrows with newspaper....it's just not the same. There are very talented people in your neck of the woods and I always enjoy you sharing them with us.

Kathleen Grace said...

What cute displays! I haven't seen anything like that around here. My favorite is the scarecrow that looks like it is holding a post and blowing int he wind. Too cute.

Anonymous said...

those are absolutely adorable!

Cheryl Wray said...

Oh my gosh...that is the most amazing collection ever. Thank you for the wonderful walk!

Pamela said...

now that is a fun way to go Halloween!!

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Goodness, those are amazing! What a creative bunch of folks!

Manuela

Rosemary said...

Wow Susie!!!!
Amazing photos!!
Just catching up after my weekend away.Thanks for the tour!!
Rosemary

FHL said...

My favorite is most definitely the smores! Although, now I have a strange desire to raid the pantry *wink* :o)

Andi said...

Love the creative scarecrows! What a cool neighborhood!

Meggie said...

What a fun and creative way to celebrate October and Halloween! Such a cool tradition!

Carole Burant said...

Oh Sue, how delightful all of these displays are! Some people sure have a lot of imagination! lol Scabbey Road?? hehe I enlarged every picture so that I could see every detail...amazing!! Love you my friend. xoxo

Melissa said...

I love those! Our town used to have a Scarecrow Jamboree, but the same team kept winning so no one else wanted to enter. I wish they'd start it back up!