Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Monday, August 25, 2008

The Journey Continues

The Dayton Daily News, August 1978
Couple Weds At Grace United Methodist Church
"I didn't marry you because you were perfect.
I didn't even marry you because I loved you.
I married you because you gave me a promise.
That promise made up for your faults.
And the promise I gave you made up for mine.
Two imperfect people got married and it was the promise
that made the marriage. And when our
children were growing up, it wasn't a house
that protected them; and it wasn't
our love that protected them - it was that promise."
~ Thornton Wilder
30 years...where does the time go? On August 26th, 1978, a young couple stood before God, their friends and family members and took their marriage vows. They had no idea where the road would lead them but oh, how excited they were to begin the long journey. Along the way, they discovered beautiful, scenic spots, just perfect for a lingering picnic or a sweet woodland walk. But occasionally, just when they least expected it, the highway took a sharp turn. Look out! Construction ahead! Quite often those less traveled side roads led to great finds and lovely vistas. Other times, the detour streets were peppered with pot holes, making the road inevitable bumpy. Or, the road markers proved to be confusing and they would become lost for a time. Still, the couple continued on together, side by side, along
the boulevards and interstates of life. And so it was that during this expedition that they began writing their life story. They met while in college, in Gatlinburg, Tennessee, during the Spring break of 1976. Two years later, they were married in the same church where her parents had become husband and wife 25 years prior.
He joined the Navy, flying in aircraft and landing on ships. She taught children, sold antiques and worried about him, missing him terribly while he was at sea.
They never got used to that part, those long deployments, but they survived.
2 children would come into their lives, arriving from far away lands and settling into their home, their lives and their hearts. There would be 17 homes, 2 dogs, 3 cats, 3 Navy Aircraft Carriers, one war, 5 cars, 1 son, 1 daughter, far too many roosters and teddy bears, dozens of arguments over silly things, thousands of hugs, 1 million tears, 1 billion smiles and an uncountable
amount of love. Their story remains unfinished, as does their road trip through this life. They still have no idea where the voyage will lead them but they know one thing...
...they will travel this winding path together. She will still pack far too much luggage, he will still refuse to ask for directions. They will stop at Sonic for her Cherry Limeade and
McDonald's for his Dr. Pepper and she will still ask to stop at far too many antique malls. She will watch her crush, Brian Dennehy, in films on the portable DVD player and he will add silly dialogue to those movies. They will ask each other Trivial Pursuit questions and try to fool each other about the answers.
He will get quiet and hum Grateful Dead tunes and she will get sleepy and grumpy when the day turns to evening and they still have 100 miles to go. But they will also be holding hands. Now and forever...

57 comments:

Melissa said...

How sweet! Happy anniversary!

Connie said...

Happy anniversary, sweetpea! I've got ya beat by 12 years though and I have to tell you it just keeps getting better and better!! Well, I think so anyway......haha....
Smoochies,
Connie

Justabeachkat said...

Happy Anniversary you lovebugs! I wish for you many many many more!

We celebrated our 30th last March.

Your words about your life together are wonderful.

Hugs!
Kat

Kathleen Grace said...

What a beautiful couple! Happy Anniversary:>)

Salmagundi said...

Happy Anniversary!!! Our 50th wedding anniversary is in 2 weeks, and I have begun a draft to post on that day. I only hope I can say what I feel as well as you did. I bet there isn't a dry eye in blogland after your post. May you have many more years of love in your home. Sally

Andi said...

What a wonderful love story!!! Happy anniversary to you both. I've decided it's okay to forgive Bill completely for the little "mix up" of the date your guests were to arrive recently.

My very favorite post ever!!! You were both so adorable. What a pretty bride you were Sue!

Cottage Rose said...

Oh Suzy Q. I think I am going to cry with very happy tears, and feel great joy and happiness. Happy Anniversary to two loving people.
I just love your Love Story. Thank you for sharing your life.
Have a great week.

Hugs;
Alaura

Firefly Nights said...

I hope you have a lovely day and another happy 30 years together.

Firefly Nights said...

Forgot to mention that I like the garden scene in your new blog banner.

Melissa said...

Awww..Happy Anniversary!

Mary said...

Oh Sue, what a sweet post! Happy Anniversary to you both, and many, many more!
xoxo,
Mary

Valerie said...

you do wax poetic. happy anniversary my friend!

Unknown said...

What a very sweet post. Congratulations on your 30th Wedding Anniversary!

bj said...

SO MANY CONGRATULATIONS on your
30th. The great thing is that it is only getting started...it gets better as time goes on!
love, bj

Indigo Robe said...

Happy Anniversary!!!

Love is a choice... looks like you chose well. Continue to choose love!

Margie

cherry said...

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww sniffle sniffle..ya made me cry! I love what you wrote...especially the sonic part and the mcdees....rofl. Happy Anniversary. cherry

cherry said...

Yep very cool idea. I have done that before with sheets. cherry

Wendster said...

Awwwwwwwwww!

You got married on my birthday!

I was 16. I could have come to the reception and eaten the mints.

And your package just arrived today! Yeahhhhh! I'm gonna open it tomorrow for my b-day. How clever of you to time it SO perfectly.

Thank you thank you thank you. Can't wait to look inside.

And Happy Anniversary! I wish you many more to come. Love the poem.

Wendster said...

p.s. Such a beautiful bride.

Harbor Hon said...

What a beautiful story and a wonderful promise. Happy Anniversary Suze and Bill! xxoo

Alice said...

That is the nicest tribute to a marriage I've ever read. Happy anniversary!

Sugar Bear said...

Look at that photo! Love it! Happy anniversary!
Karla

Janet said...

That is about the sweetest thing I have ever read, lol. You brought tears to my eyes, Susie Q. Happy Anniversary to you and Bill, and I hope he ditched those glasses along the road!

Janet

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! What a wonderful post!

Sandi McBride said...

Happy 30th Anniversary and here
s to at least 30 more! In a world where marriages are as disposable as razors you've managed to get the job done (and I know it's a job...good marriages take a lot of work...)So again, congratulations and GOOD WORK to you and Bill!
hugs
Sandi

Rebecca Ramsey said...

Sue, this is such an awesome tribute to your marriage! I love it! Happy happy anniversary!
A Big hug to you! And a cherry limeade (my favorite too!)
Becky

Anonymous said...

Oh Susie Q! Happy Anniversary and what a beautiful story told as only you can!! I'm holding my breath for a bathroom snap. Don't make me pass out!! I can't wait. Just let me know when you're ready!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Deserae said...

Happy Anniversary...may you have many more years of happiness :o)
~Des

Anonymous said...

Great blog. Happy anniversary and many more to come for you.
Also what a great thing you did bringing those beautiful children into your life!

Rosemary said...

Isn't it romantic?
Happy Anniversary!!!
Have a great evening!
Rosemary

Terri said...

Happy Happy Anniversary!!!
(I'd have married Joe in 1978, but he was only a freshman in High School! I had to wait for him to grow up! LOL LOL

God bless!
Terri

Susie said...

Lovely touching post :)
Happy 30th anniversary To Bill and Susie Q!
xo

Cheryl Wray said...

This is SO, SO, SO sweet!!!!!

Happy Anniversary, and may you have many more!!!!

Meggie said...

Happy Anniversary, Suzie Q! Wishing you many more years of happiness together.

Cherdecor said...

Happy Anniversary! I wish you many more!

SissySees said...

Congrats! Today (Wednesday) would have been my parent's 44th anniversary... but they divorced in the 1980s...

Deb said...

Beautiful post!
Sending Happy Anniversary wishes to you :-)

Sheila said...

Happy 30th anniversary Sue! You and Bill made a beautiful couple on your wedding day!

Sweet Cottage Dreams said...

Susie, this is a fabulous tribute to a wonderfully precious couple! I love how you wrote it in the third person!!! Happy Aniversary to you and your dear!

xo
Becky

Gretchen said...

Absolutely beautiful. Happy, happy 30th anniversary, my friend. Many, many more.

xxxooogretchen

Donna said...

I loved your story, Suzy Q! Happy Anniversary!

Hugs,
Donna

Bramble said...

Happy Anniversary Susie Q and Bill!
I love what you wrote about your marriage, so true!
The song you picked is what we danced to 20 years ago at our wedding and all our family couldn't understand how we knew "that old song". Even at 27 & 28 years old we knew, just like you "ourlove was here to stay"! Blessings to you and yours!

Chris@Cats On My Quilts said...

Congrats!! What an achievement and that's coming from someone married 33 years. Must be those military men. They sure look good in a uniform.

I haven't been checking in with you enough so trying to get on a better blog schedule. I was AWOL this summer!

Lisa Pogue said...

Happy Anniversary. I absolutely love this post. You are so wonderful. To another 30!!!!!

The French Nest said...

Happy Anniversary, Susie!! Thanks for sharing your loveeeee story!! :)

Kate

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary from a new visitor!! Hope y'all had a wonderful day.

Robin

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY! What a beautiful post! It will be our 34 this fall --where do the years go?

You were both a lovely bride and groom!

Hugs, Pat

Laurie - Decorating Fanatic said...

Oh Suzy, this is just the sweetest post, it got me all choked up. What an amazing journey and it's still going. Now I feel guilty for snapping at my husband over dinner, gotta go make up now. I want my journey to be as wonderful as yours. :) Happy Anniversary & many more! ~ Laurie

Mary Isabella and Kiley too! said...

That is a Beautiful tribute to 30 years of marriage....m.

Rue said...

Good morning Sue :)

Happy Anniversary!

That was a wonderful story that brought tears to my eyes. You are so lucky you found each other :)

Love,
rue

Sue said...

Happy anniversary to you and your husband. May you enjoy many more years together.

CIELO said...

Happy Anniversay, sweetie pie! You two are a lovely couple.... many blessings...

cielo

Jim Rittenhouse said...

Oh, yay! So that's the reason for your getaway---many, many more!

Carolyn said...

Love that Pic!

mamashops said...

Happy anniversary! I love your comments on marriage. My husband and I have been married for 27 years. I think it's a sense of humor and the willingness to stay true to your promise that keeps a marriage strong. Love your blog!

Pamela said...

awwwwww... what a beautiful marriage story.

Happy Anniversary!

(is it okay to say he just looked like a little kid in those glasses.)

Anonymous said...

Wow, 30 years, that's so awesome. Happy belated Anniversary to you and Bill!!