Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Monday, October 24, 2011

That's Bananas!




Ah...Autumn...and what's sounds better than hot tea and banana bread for breakfast?

Okay, so it sounds good to ME and I hope to you as well!

Here is the recipe I use!


1 1/4 cups sugar

1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups mashed very ripe bananas (3 to 4 medium)

1/2 cup buttermilk

1 teaspoon vanilla

2 1/2 cups  all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt



 Move oven rack to low position so that tops of pans will be in center of oven. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease bottoms only of 2 loaf pans, 8 1/2x4 1/2x2 1/2 inches, or 1 loaf pan, 9x5x3 inches.

 Mix sugar and butter in large bowl. Stir in eggs until well blended. Add bananas, buttermilk and vanilla. Beat until smooth. Stir in flour, baking soda and salt just until moistened. Stir in nuts. Pour into pans.

 Bake 8-inch loaves about 1 hour, 9-inch loaf about 1 1/4 hours, or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes. Loosen sides of loaves from pans; remove from pans and place top side up on wire rack. Cool completely, about 2 hours, before slicing. Wrap tightly and store at room temperature up to 4 days, or refrigerate up to 10 days.




Grace and I are thinking about making mini loaves for the holidays! To make, grease bottoms only of 10 miniature loaf pans. Divide batter among pans (about 1/2 cup each). Bake 30 to 35 minutes.

 You can also stir in 1/2 cup chocolate, chopped nuts, peanut butter, cinnamon or butterscotch chips into the batter for some yummy flavor combinations.


Now go brew that tea, get out some sweet butter, and enjoy!

Have a wonderful day!










7 comments:

Bonnie said...

Oh my this sounds wonderful. I LOVE banana bread but I usually cheat and buy it. But cool weather here and this recipe, I may just have to become Betty Crocker for a short while.

Unknown said...

I love fall for all the yummy goodies and this bread is one of them!

Penny from Enjoying The Simple Things said...

I love banana bread! Thank you for the recipe Sue!! I have some bananas in the freezer. When they get too ripe to eat, I throw them in the freezer. When I have enough for banana bread, I take them out, peel them, put then in a strainer and let them thaw.

Hope fall is treating you well.
Hugs,
Penny

Salmagundi said...

Looks yummy! You are so busy - when do you find time to cook? Hope all is well with you and yours. Sally

Denise at Autumn Sky said...

Banana bread sounds delicious. So does pumpkin bread and zucchini bread and so many more!

Pam Kessler said...

I absolutely love warm banana bread. I just bought a bunch today, so I might just leave them to get a little brown. Thanks for the idea.

Melissa Miller said...

Oh Sue I want the entire loaf. Banana bread is one of my all time favorite foods. Yum! :)