Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Wednesday, December 09, 2009

An Invasion Of Christmas Mice


Around here, it just isn't Christmas without our animals...and that even includes mice. Or, as our son Daniel calls them, "The Holiday Rats". Hmpf. I much prefer, "Wee Christmas Mice"...



24 Double stuffed creme-filled chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos)



1 cup(6oz) semi sweet chocolate chips


2 tsp. shortening


24 red maraschino cheeries with stems, well drained


24 milk chocolate kisses


48 sliced almonds


1 small tube green decorative icing gel


1 small tube red decorative icing gel






Carefully twist cookies apart; set aside the halves with creme filling. Save empty halves for
another use or, better yet, eat them!






In a microwave or heavy saucepan, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until smooth






Holding each cherry by the stem, dip in melted chocolate, then press onto bottom of a chocolate kiss.






Place on the creme filling of cookie, with cherry stem extending beyond cookie edge.






For ears, place slivered almonds between the cherry and the kiss. Refrigerate until set.






With green gel, pipe holly leaves on the creme filling. With red gel, pipe holly berries between the leaves.


Pipe eyes on each side of chocolate kiss.






Store in airtight container at room temperature.






Yield: 2 dozen

(This recipe comes from a lovely lady at our church. Every year, for 3 years, I have attended the cookie walk and come home with a dozen of these. This year I made my own!)


And I do believe there is someone who might like one of two of these come Christmas Eve...




 Uh huh. Yes, our Grace loves them but I was talking about her friend here. Old St. Nick himself.


It surely feels like Winter here tonight. Bitterly cold and so windy...I know some of you are dealing with
even worse conditions. Stay safe, bundle up in a warm throw, grab a cup of hot cocoa and get cozy!

Until next time...

Love and Hugs,
Susie Q

8 comments:

Holly Campbell said...

How cute are those mice?! I will have to show my eldest daughter, she would love to make those! Thank you for sharing pictures and instructions. You always have such fun things to share. . .Have a wonderful week, and if I don't make it back to visit before Christmas, have a very blessed and merry Christmas!

Blondie's Journal said...

Oh, Susie!! These are adorable and I have to make them!! And I see two more cuties at the end of your post!!

Stay warm and dry. We are so cold & windy. But at least it isn't snowing or sleeting. Maybe this is the end...

xoxo
Janie

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Your mice are darling. Thank you for sharing the recipe. I'm looking forward to making a few of them this season. hugs ~lynne~

Sue said...

I could envision them somewhat when we talked earlier tonight, but seeing this picture made me just smile and wish I had one. Or two...
They are adorable. Geez, I gotta go bake something!
hugs, sue

Anonymous said...

Yum, my pre-teen girls can use these to antagonize their older brother, a way to tease. Looking forward trying this out.

Harbor Hon said...

I love the picture of Grace with Santa. Thanks for sharing how to make the mouse cookies. I think my sister's grandchildren will love those. xxoo

Cindy said...

Those are so adorable! I think I may have to make those!

I've been away from your blog for too long! I hope all is well with you and your family!

Brown English Muffin said...

I am SOOO happy that Gracie is not too old for sitting on Santa's lap....so happy!