Most of the photos here at Rabbit Run Cottage
can be enlarged just by clicking on each one!
There you go...see? Easy!

Sunday, October 22, 2006

Tearing Down The House (of Learning)

They tore it down. Reduced to a pile of rubble in a matter of days. My elementary school. Our elementary school. The place where so many of us spent much of our childhood.
I can still hear the peals of playground laughter, smell the gym's basement showers or the peanut butter cookies baking in Mrs. King's Home Ec room. I still shudder when I think about Mr. Lanasa's recording of "Go You Chicken Fat Go". I remember well the chill that ran down my spine when I saw school principal, Mr. Dobbins, walking down the hall with his ever present paddle. I can see our school custodian, Harry Wederburn, smile each time we passed in the hall.
It was here that we watched the first space shots and lost a portion of our innocence upon hearing that President Kennedy was dead.
I remember the children that were a part of my youth....the teachers....the building. Thanks for the memories.

No comments: